Saturday, May 28, 2011

Heartbreaking.

Before April 27, I never could have imagined that I would hate tornadoes more than I already did.
That day, an EF-4 tornado ripped through my city.
Friends were left homless. Places I'd driven past all my life were gone. The Milo's at Wood Square that I always ate at. The Full Moon Barbeque (that used to be another little diner) where I had gotten milkshakes at when I was 7 with my best friend - gone. 41 lives were taken from Tuscaloosa that day, by that tornado. 238 were taken all across the state of Alabama.
Words can't describe how things in Tuscaloosa and all over Alabama have changed since that day.
Then on May 22, an EF-5 tornado ripped through Joplin, Missouri, and broke my heart even more. The people in Joplin had a Facebook page set up to help my city, while they had no clue what would happen to their city just 4 weeks after our state was devastated.
The relentless severe weather has taken over 300 lives nationwide, just in the past 6 weeks.
My heart goes out to every town, city, and state that has been affected. It doesn't matter how small or large your town is; in a time like this, not one city is more important than the others. Just the thought that wind could blow down our lives in only a few moments is intense. But our country is strong; and the outpour of love from every corner has been amazing. Wednesday, April 27 and Sunday, May 22 will never be forgotten in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment